Van catches fire

CFA members believe the van could be a write-off, after a battery pack caught fire inside the vehicle. 120979

By JESSE GRAHAM

A DRIVER in Healesville is set to be thousands of dollars out of pocket, after a van caught fire this afternoon just outside of town.
Healesville CFA crews were called to the burning van on the Maroondah Highway, outside of the old fruit and vegetable stall shed, about 2.10pm.
“From what we can see so far, a gentleman was charging battery packs in his vehicle off of his battery,” CFA member, George Trumble said.
“They obviously got too hot and ignited the vehicle.”
Even though the fire took only a few minutes to be extinguished, Mr Trumble said the car could be a write-off, with around $2000 or $3000 in estimated damage.
He said the method of charging batteries from the car battery was unusual, but that the owner had been contacted.
The matter would be followed up with the police.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.