A state commemoration service will mark 10 years since the Black Saturday bushfires.
On Tuesday 8 January, the State Government announced the event would take place on Monday 4 February at the Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens.
“Holding this commemoration on this day allows for individuals to have time for themselves or attend other community events during the week,” Police and Emergency Services Minister Lisa Neville said.
“These horrific events still impact on many communities and it is important we allow everyone to commemorate this anniversary in their own way.”
Ms Neville said organisers had been speaking with family and friends of those who died, the bushfire-affected communities, and emergency services personnel about the commemoration service and other initiatives to ensure they met community expectations.
“We need to honour those who died, those who lost homes and those brave men and women who fought to save lives and homes,” she said.
The catastrophic bushfires in February 2009 claimed 173 lives, injured many more, and destroyed homes.
The State Government is contributing $4.4 million to support anniversary activities, including a the Community Arts Grants Program, Commemoration and Community Development Grants Scheme, targeted teaching and learning support for schools, and expanded mental health and psychological support services.
The State Government will release full event details shortly.